Apple Oatmeal Cookies make a great lunchbox treat or midday snack, especially in the Fall.
Apple season is a BIG deal here in Upstate New York. Some of the best apple varieties in the U.S. were developed here in New York State- MacIntosh, Empire, Crispin, Cortland, Macoun, IdaRed, and many more.
I was fortunate to grow up playing in my Dad’s organic apple orchard that still produces fantastic apples every year. The 300-tree orchard has been my father’s hobby for over 30 years. My bohemian spirit soars when I walk through the orchard. You can feel the love my Dad has poured into those trees and the land over the years.
I still enjoy spending an afternoon wandering around the orchard. Like connoisseur wine tasting, my dad takes guests row by row to taste each apple variety and make sure the apples are at peak flavor for picking. Surrounded by the abundance of apples and beautiful Fall leaves, you can’t help but feel happy and relaxed.
I love to make Apple Oatmeal Cookies with the freshly picked apples from the orchard. This recipe is super easy. Select flavorful apples. The New York State Apple Growers have a great guide to help you. I used Crispins. These cookies also gain more flavor after a day or two thanks to so much cinnamon.
Apple Oatmeal Cookies
¾ cup brown sugar
½ cup margarine
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups old-fashioned oats
2- 3 tsp of cinnamon (to taste)
½ tsp salt
½ cup chopped walnuts
1 cup flour
½ tsp baking soda
2 apples, peeled and diced
1. Prepare the apples and walnuts, then set aside.
2. Beat together the brown sugar and margarine until fluffy, then beat in the eggs and vanilla.
3. Combine all of the dry ingredients and carefully mix into the wet ingredients.
4. Stir in the apples and walnuts.
5. Drop cookies by the spoonful onto ungreased baking sheets.
6. Bake at 375 degrees for 9 to 12 minutes. Cookies will turn lightly brown and harden slightly as they cool.
This recipe makes approximately 2 ½ dozen Apple Oatmeal Cookies.
Happy boho baking! Looking for more bohemian kitchen approved apple recipes? Click here!